Monday 5 August 2013

A couple more colours


100 grams of Saxon Blue Dyed Yarn
I'm going to do a bit of research later in the day and try to find out a bit more about Saxon Blue. I'm not sure what it is. I think it has something to do with indigo dying without using a vat.

The dye bath was nowhere near exhausted when this colour was achieved but I didn't know how to get the yarn to take up more colour. Quite a pretty blue but not as deep as I would have liked. I threw in some bicarb as I thought it would help develop the blue. When this didn't work I glugged in a bit of vinegar, it really made everything fizz. By now I was feeling like a crazed alchemist and beginning to worry about the integrity of the yarn after all this faffing. It would be terrible if it all disintegrated in a few days.

I'm planning to over dye some of this as there is 100 grams to play with.




25 grams of Madder over dyed with Saxon Blue

This is half of the yarn I previously dyed with madder extract, now over dyed with the remains of the Saxon Blue bath. Again, the colour uptake wasn't great but I do like this colour.

No comments:

Post a Comment